Sunday, March 30, 2008

Branding: 2 down, 1 to go!

We had our second branding of the season yesterday and I took lots of pictures. It's always difficult for me to decide which ones to put on here. I try not to put too many on, but it's often hard to choose.

This is my favorite one of the day.... not photographically speaking (because in that way it's not that great), but I just think it's really cool that our friends and family come out for the day and help us get the branding done. I know it's hard to see faces... sorry about that.

And here's a few action shots from the day...


I think I take this same picture every year, but I still like looking at it...

There wasn't just a little mud, there was A LOT of mud! And the boys loved it! In case you can't tell, J.T. is on the right.

Andy and Salty are waiting patiently for the calf to get branded and vaccinated...

I am not sure what Abigail was doing here...

The kids entertained themselves pretty well throughout the day.

This might be one of my favorite action shots for the day. I know it's hard to tell on here, but you can see the loop of the rope in mid-air right before it landed on the calf...

At the end, Abigail and J.T. were able to each brand a couple of calves with the help of Bill. J.T. took the job pretty seriously...

Abigail really wanted to do it, but as you can see, she really didn't look like she enjoyed it.

Last but not least, the kids always have to get a ride on Salty (with Papa Walt leading them)...


Now that's two down, one to go (in May). Yesterday was the biggest day so it's nice to have it done. I did lunch for the crew for Friday and Saturday and I am REALLY glad that's done. It's more work than I remember! Oh well, for the effort that our friends and family put into the day, it's worth it!

3 comments:

Shelley said...

I LOVE to check these out every time you guys brand. Very cool.

They always make me think about when I would go with Gage to band the calves.....man, that was NOT fun!!

karen said...

Congratulations to Andy, you, and the crew for a job well done!  Nice pictures, Sarah, to capture the day. Muddy, it was and chilly too, but the guys & gals did a great job & entertained those of us along the the sidelines. I like that shot of the cows on the hills too.  It's just a perfect setting with the brillant green spotted with all the cows and the red roofed structures!  To all the other readers:  Sarah puts together great hot meals for all the workers & those of us that come to watch their Brandings!!!

Anonymous said...

Is the one in May the annual event?? We always look forward to that! Looks like fun except for the mud!
Angela