Saturday, August 9, 2008

Report from the fair

After I took some photos for a family friend this morning (more about that later), we went to the fair to check out our entries. The kids were pretty excited to see how they did. I will admit that I was too.

I was totally surprised to see that I had gotten a First Place with this photo in the category of "color: children/babies"...

And a Third Place in the category of "black/white: other." I was pretty excited!

And the kids did well too, especially J.T. For this watercolor painting of a (what else is there?) John Deere tractor he received a First Place ribbon and a Special Award. This award was donated by the local Farm Bureau chapter in the amount of $50! It will be a great addition to his college fund!

Abigail got a First Place on this watercolor...


After checking out our entries we let the kids go on a couple of the rides. I can't believe how expensive it's gotten. The kids each picked three rides and it was $20! The "pay one price" wristbands that used to be $6 or $8 when I was a kid, are now $25!

I probably won't make it back to the fair, but at least we can say we made it for one afternoon....

14 comments:

*Jennifer* said...

i love the second picture, and i like the conversion!

Anonymous said...

that water color is spectacular! You should have that framed. And I know what you mean about the rides and everything at the fair costing so much. We gave up on going to the state fair and now we just go to the local county fair. Which is much cheaper.

Helena said...

Congratulations! Very cool.

Linda said...

Congratulations! My favorite is your B&W ! Nice job.
~Prettycricket

Covered In Crafts said...

Nice photo!! Your family is very talented.

MediMonsters said...

Beautiful pictures. Congrats on your awards. Kids artwork is great too. Looks like yall had a fun day.

Mom2Drew said...

Hello there! I really love the coloring to that first shot, so vibrant and true. Looks like you had a great time.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the ribbons!

Fair prices are so expensive! We go the the other county's fair- which is a shorter distance from us than our own county's. It's also free to get in. Our county fair charges for day passes on top of everything you pay once you actually get inside. :P

My kids only went on one ride last year. So expensive!

Anonymous said...

I love the second picture...should have been a blue ribbon! I found your site through the peas and I really like it. I love the post on Bill Gates. I will be back!

glitzen said...

your black and white photo is just beautiful! I will have to use your idea for some photos of my girls and their horses.
Love the fair post. We are getting excited about ours too.

karen said...

Hey, Sarah
Those are great pictures...I'm not surprised you won some ribbons. The kids' stuff is great too!! The 3 Albins did well!!!

California Sunshine said...

Sarah
Trying to think, that we are close. I am in Tehama County Red Bluff. Love the county fairs.

California Sunshine said...

Hmmmm I think we may be in the same area. I am in Tehama County, Red Bluff. I love the county fairs. Congratulations for such beautiful work....

Amy said...

Looks like a lot of fun and all of your entries are fabulous! Are you in Humboldt County, CA? One of my SIL's lives in Eureka. :)