Saturday, July 18, 2009

Since when does sunscreen stain?

In an effort to protect my kids' skin on our Hawaii trip, I bought a 2-pack of Banana Boat Sport SPF 50 sunscreen at Costco. We had to buy 2 or 3 more bottles while we were there. I bought the Sport kind thinking that it wouldn't sting if it got in their eyes.

When we got home I realized that it had stained Abigail and Andy's swimsuits. If J.T.'s were stained, I couldn't tell because they were dark-colored. I used different sunscreen for myself so mine didn't get stained. One of Andy's and one of Abigail's were new ones that we bought over there so I was upset.

At Christina's suggestion, I called Banana Boat to see what the deal was. They said that they have an ingredient in some of the sunscreens that can cause orangish stains. They gave me some cleaning instructions that were supposed to help remove the stains. They asked that I try them and call back to let them know if it worked. While they lightened them, they didn't go away completely.

I called Banana Boat back to get the name of the ingredient that causes the staining. It is called Avobenzene and apparently all the sunscreen companies are starting to use it. Banana Boat does not use it in their "Baby" formulations so that is good to know. And the Avobenzene is more likely to cause staining with the spray formulas because of over-spray.

I just wanted to post this so anyone who reads this knows to watch out for this. In the future, I plan to only use the "Baby" formulas from now on....

3 comments:

karen said...

Yipes, that's really strange!

Matt from Michigan said...

Banana Boat Sport SPF 15 just left orangish stains all around the collar and sleeve openings of a white t-shirt. I don't recall if I first applied some sunscreen while still wearing my shirt or if I applied it all over shirtless and put the shirt on afterwards. Needless to say, I am not happy about it.

I've been using Banana Boat products for many years while boating and I never recall staining any clothes.

Tina said...

I used Banana Boat this summer too and am disappointed with orange stains. One of my dh's golf shirts is ruined.

I don't know what to use to try to lighten the stains....any suggestions?