Sunday, July 13, 2008

Photos for the fair

One of the things on my list today is to decide if I will enter any photos in the county fair this year. I need to decide by Friday.

I have entered some the past two years, but have never won anything. It's not that I only care about winning, but when I look at the ones that do win, it makes me go "huh?" I can never figure out what exactly the judges are looking for in their selections. I want to be able to learn from the experience of entering photos so I can improve my skills.

Trying to pick the ones to enter is tough too. I am allowed six photos total, no more than two in each category. I was thinking of entering one of these sunsets from our Maui trip... which is the best? I would love to hear some opinions.



Here's some other ones I am considering...
The animal rights people might not like this one....

Do you think it's bad that we can't see the frog's entire face?

One of my favorites from the branding season this year...

I like how this one shows J.T.'s size relative to the tractor...

Here's one I might consider entering in the black and white category. I kind-of borrowed the idea from Gina though so I need to check with her to make sure it's okay with her! :)

I would love it if anyone wants to give feedback on if I should enter any of these.... leave me a comment or email me. Thanks so much!

4 comments:

Rosjuane said...

The last one for b/w is my favorite!! As for teh others I like the palm tree one, but I think you need to play in Ps and pop the colors a bit more. I like the branding one too. And the one of the boys on the horse I think would look good in some kinda sepia vintage look.

karen said...

I like the two of J.T., the branding, and the last one. I'd like to see one included of Abigail too...like maybe from her First Holy Communion or some other special event.

Anonymous said...

I'm in love with the b/w spur shot!

Funny thing is, when I was reading about you possibly entering photos, I immediately thought of the palm tree/sunset because I remember how beautiful it is.

I think those two are my favorites!

What about the infant on the saddle you have??? I think it may have been Evan when he was born...?? Anyway, love that too!

Let us all know what you decide!
Good luck!
Samantha

hsy said...

B&W is my favorite.
On the sunset shots-- I think your exposure is more interesting on the second and third shots-- best composition on the third shot.

No to the frog (no face).
The branding shot is awesome/ raw-- I never saw so much flame when I went to a branding-- it's very striking. The three cowpokes look a little 'dead center' and maybe a more unusual angle would have been more interesting.

Nice John Deere green/ yellow kid shot.