Saturday, July 7, 2007

What I learned while traveling...

Here are a few things I learned while on our trip to Hawaii:

1. Upgrading to first class was probably a mistake because now I am spoiled and never want to fly in coach again.

2. On a related note, I REALLY like being handed a glass of champagne when I sit down on the airplane.

3. Everything always takes longer than you think it will (picking up luggage, getting a rental car, getting to your hotel, etc.). One should just expect things to take longer and not get stressed out!

4. When there is a time difference (Hawaii is three hours behind California), your body will finally be adjusted on the day you leave to go home.

5. Being on vacation with friends is a whole different experience, but in a good way. Sometimes Andy and I don't like to do all the same things on vacation... it was nice to have others that like to do some of the same things I do.

6. At home, I make my bed everyday. While on vacation, I LOVE the fact that someone else makes the bed!

7. A paper towel can be an adequate substitute for a coffee filter, in a pinch. (Andy's idea.)

8. Tropical drinks just taste better with a view of the ocean.

9. Eating a cheeseburger for breakfast is acceptable... especially if it's accompanied by a lava flow.

10. There is a different feeling to a tropical wedding. There is nothing like the sounds of the ocean, the smell of tropical flowers, and the rustle of the palm trees. It just makes it that much more romantic.

11. Photos cannot do justice to the beauty of what we saw... the ocean is a more beautiful color of blue... the sunsets are more vibrant... the flowers are more colorful.

12. Double bag a can of aerosol sunscreen. I had three almost full cans of sunscreen that leaked/sprayed all over the inside of my suitcase. When I got home, they were totally empty.

13. Sometimes it really is too foggy to land in Humboldt County. It's okay (actually a lot of fun) to spend an extra night in San Francisco. When you do arrive home and the pilot says, "Wow, that was close," you know that you are lucky to be on the ground safely.

14. Seeing a San Francisco sunrise out of a huge picture window is awesome!

15. Expect things to be a little chaotic when you return home. It takes some time to unpack, do laundry, pay bills, etc. Things will return to normal sooner than you expect.

16. Enjoying the memories and photos of a vacation is almost as much fun as the vacation itself!

Can't wait for the next one....

5 comments:

karen said...

Hi, Sarah

As you know, I see, read, and enjoy your blog all the time. It's great! Chet & I are very
thankful that you take the time to keep it up to date. You're a very special young lady, a great wife, and wonderful Mom! Glad you had the opportunity to go to Hawaii. You learned a lot about travel and that's all part of the great lessons of life. Thanks for sharing!!!

Hugs, Karen

Shelley said...

awww! your MIL is so sweet! gotta love comments like that :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah,

I like your blog because it helps me keep up to date with what is going on in Humboldt County since I don't make it up that way very often. Anyway I think it is great and I love all the pictures and comments. Talk to you soon.
your cousin Tiffany

Amanda said...

Hi Sarah,
It's weird I have only seen you once in my life, yet I am so interested in keeping in touch! The blog is a great way to do that. I agree with your travel experience and I am STILL so JEALOUS that you guys have made it back before we did!
Amanda T

bgalt said...

Hey Sarah, You know I love your blogs! I think it is a great way to keep in touch with what is going on. I always enjoy your photos as well! Clint is in the cattle business? You guys have alot in common. Fun! I checked his website. Berwyn