Saturday, January 31, 2009

"The Shack"

I just finished reading this book. My Dad gave it to me a couple weeks ago after reading it. When you read the back of the book for the synopsis, it sounds a little disturbing. I went ahead and read it anyway....

I know there is a lot of buzz going on about this book, both good and bad. Personally, I thought it was fabulous! I can honestly say I have never gotten so much out of a book. It really touched me in ways that I can't even start to explain. Andy is almost done reading it and even when we have discussions about it, it is really hard for me to put into words how I feel about it.

I am not going to write too much about the book in case you haven't read it, and want to. I just wanted to say that I HIGHLY recommend this book. I think everyone who reads it comes away with something different. I had several "ah-ha" moments. I am not ready to discuss them here, though. If you haven't read it, you should. If you have, I would love to hear what you think.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought the book was good also. We had a discussion about it last night with our book club. We only discussed chapters 1 - 4. I think that the real discussions are going to start when he goes back to The Shack. Was there anything that bothered you about the book? We can talk about it more later.

♥ JaYmE ♥ said...

Here in Arkansas, we had a news anchor a few months ago that was brutally murdered. Her name was Anne Pressley, and the murder received national media attention...she had a huge fan base and had just filmed a role in W, the George Bush movie.
People here are going crazy about this book too, and my mom LOVED it and loaned me her copy, but I haven't had a chance to sit down and read it. Anne Pressley was reported just a few weeks before the attack as saying the book gve her so much peace and was life-changing to her....and is perfect for anyone who'd lost a child, particularly, or had been victimized by a violent crime. She had read the book in her church group, reportedly, just before she was attacked. I thought about that, and about her parents, as I watched them sob over their daughter in the weeks following her murder.

karen said...

Chet and I read "The Shack" last spring. Barby & Chris read it after us. I gave several away as gifts including one to our Eureka Calvary pastor. At first, I closed it after about 80 pages but was encourged by friends to read on...which I did. I loved it...such a spiritual walk and for each of us in a different way. Along the sunny banks of the Applegate River here in southern Oregon, 10 of us gals used it for our '08 summer book club. I highly recommend it. More recently, we enjoyed The movie "Fireproof" & The "Love Dare" book that goes along with it. The movie is out in video now. They are both great for couples. Enjoy!