Friday, November 14, 2008

Need feedback

As I go through this planning process for my possible future photography business, there is something I am trying to decide on. It has to do with the ordering process. Right now when people order photos from me, I put them in a gallery on my smugmug site and have them call or email me with their order. Then I deliver them and collect payment (by check or cash). I am thinking of changing my ordering process and putting them on a different site. That way, people can view, order and pay online (with credit or debit card). Then the photos get shipped directly to them.

I am curious what everyone's thoughts are.... I can see the benefits of both. Please give me some feedback (via a comment here or an email to me) of what you would prefer if you were a photo customer of mine..... I really appreciate it!!

Edited to add: Sorry for the confusion... I wasn't really asking for feedback on my photography (although I will take it). I was asking whether I should have customers order online or through me. Thanks for all the suggestions!! :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about proofs? Do you give them proofs 1st and go over the photo's with them? Also there's something to say about getting them in person from your photographer, its like finishing the project! Part of the package! That way you can personally package the photos and present them to your clients with packaging from (Sarah Albin Photography) Looks profesional!
Meaghan

Rosjuane said...

I think that is a great idea.

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of ordering online and grandparents and friends would probably love it too. I do like the way you do it now. It is really personal. Maybe you could have the site only for reorders.

jg said...

I agree. Deliver in person and reorders online. That also gives you the opportunity to hone your craft so to speak. See what your customers like and don't like.

Anonymous said...

When we have gotten photos done from Andra she puts the proofs online now.(she used to print them on her printer and give them to us). You go to her website that anyone can access then you go to the online ordering link. Once there you have a passwork so only you can view them and then you can order them online and you can pay by a credit card or choose to pay by check and then she hand delivers them. I think that hand delivering them is the most important part. The proofs and ordering however I think are fine online, but you could give customers the option also.

Anonymous said...

Sarah,

I think that you could do both. How about placing the photos online for the people who are ot of state or the area to view and order, but to have those who had the job done, order from you and recieve the photos in person. I think you could have the best of both worlds.
Jacqueline

Anonymous said...

i think both would be good. that gives the customer an option.