Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Shipping Day!

Payday is coming! Yippee! Today was the second shipping day for us on the ranch. This is our first calf crop that we sold and shipped to the feedlot... six truck loads worth! For those of you not in the cattle business, this is an exciting day because we only get paid once a year.

They will be going down to Harris Ranch in Coalinga, California. Yesterday and today, I had to meet the cattle trucks and show them how to get to the ranch. J.T. went with me today too.


Andy got J.T. up close and personal with one of the trucks before it was loaded. He wasn't quite so sure about them. They are really big when you get up close to one of them.


J.T. wanted to sit on one of the 4-wheelers while he was watching the calves get on the trucks.

Andy had a great crew this morning... thanks to Justin, Charlie and my dad! This is my dad's first year not being the boss.... he said it's much more relaxed that way!


My dad still provides some advice every now and then, though.... I am not really sure what was going on in this picture. I am pretty sure that it looks much more serious in the picture than it really was.


Getting these calves shipped out is a big relief to Andy. Can you tell?


And off they go.....

1 comment:

Shelley said...

kinda sad that I know what a double decker is huh.... I dated a cattle hauler once...

$$$$$$$ for you, yay! 40D? haha