Saturday, August 6, 2011

Good times and bad

I know I'm stating the obvious here.... Marriage is hard work. It takes effort from both people. There are going to be good times and bad. But it's worth it!

It seems like divorce is becoming an epidemic. I am not judging anyone that chooses divorce because I think we can all agree that no one really knows what goes on in a marriage except the two people in it.

The other day, I read something interesting a movie star said about her failed marriage. She said that her and her husband agreed (when they got married, I'm assuming) that if the marriage took too much work, then they would get divorced. I think this is very sad.

As an aside, let me say that thankfully I've never been through a divorce. From what I've gathered, by the time a couple decides to get divorced, it may be too late to fix things. Notice I said "may" because generalizations are just that.... not true of every situation.

As I said before, it takes effort on the parts of both people in a marriage. Don't let it get to the point where it may be too late. Have date nights. Do things just the two of you. Think about things from the other person's perspective. Sit down and talk. Don't let resentment build up. These are some things that have worked for the successful marriages I've observed.

I'd be curious to see what you all think....

1 comment:

Bobi said...

Love this post...my brother in law is going through a divorce and has two children, my heart is breaking for those kids. Thanks for your uplifting words of advice. My husband in my best friend and the love of my life.