Sunday, March 6, 2011

WPPI #3... and a little complaint.

Several WPPI speakers talked about the importance of being involved in your community. One of the ways they suggested is being supportive of the fundraising that is going on around us. They suggested donating items to auctions as a way to do that, which in addition helps get our name out in the community.

I have done this several times since I started my business a couple of years ago. And I am always happy to donate to a cause that I believe in.

Lately, though, I have had some not-so-positive experiences with that. Just last week I was asked to donate to a local fundraiser here. I am not going to mention the organization's name because I am not trying to bad-mouth it. This is what happened: someone on their committee asked me to make a donation. I offered to donate a gift card. This person thought that was a great idea and also suggested I put up a photo for display. I was happy to do that. She told me where the event was being held and when the committee would be setting up. She said I could drop off my donation and my display. On Friday, I *tried* to do that. When I arrived, one of the committee members basically said they didn't have time to deal with my donation and turned me away. And as some sort of consolation, she said, "Oh maybe you can donate to our next event."

I was in shock. I have helped with enough fundraising events where you are asking community members and local businesses for something, that you just don't turn donations away. And, more importantly, you don't treat local business people like that. I don't even know the person's name that I dealt with, but it was completely rude and unprofessional.

I donated three $100 gift cards to an event last May for the winner, 1st runner up, and 2nd runner up. That was 10 months ago and not one of the gift cards has been used. It is natural for me to want to take it personally, but that isn't really what bothers me. If any business is kind enough to donate to a cause/organization/event, the receiver of the donation should really try to use it.

I am not sure if other businesses have had experiences like this. It will unfortunately make small business owners, like myself, question whether we should donate to community events in the future.

No comments: