Friday, August 3, 2007

Mini family vacation: Redding, Calif.

On Tuesday we left for our 2nd annual mini family vacation. This is a three-day trip where we invite the kids' grandparents to come along. Last year we went to Six Flags Marine World and the Jelly Belly Factory. This year all the grandparents except my dad were able to join us (he's in Alaska on a fishing trip with his golf buddies!). So it was Andy, Abigail, J.T. and I, joined by Grandma Pam and Grandpa Charlie (Andy's mom and step-dad); Grandpa Chet and Granny Karen (Andy's dad and step-mom); and Ma (my mom).

When we left around noon on Tuesday, it was 65 degrees. When we arrived in Redding at 3:45 pm it was 108 degrees. Yes, we knew it would be hot.... but that is HOT! The first thing we did was get in the pool at our hotel, Oxford Suites. That helped cool us off a little. Abigail is much more comfortable in the water and she loved it! J.T. only stayed in the pool for a little while but I think he had fun.

Here's J.T. and Granny Karen trying to get cool in the pool...



And Abigail and Grandpa Chet...


Our main activity of the trip was to go to the Water Works Park on Wednesday. We got there at 10 am, right when they opened, to avoid the lines. I am glad we did because it was much cooler in the morning. Abigail loved being there and had a great time all day..... I am not sure if J.T. enjoyed himself or not. Here's a picture of J.T. on the kiddie slide.... he looks like he's having fun here!

We were able to talk Abigail into going on one of the big waterslides. Once she figured out how to plug her nose before she went into the pool, she was much happier!

Both kids liked the "Lazy Lagoon" the most. Here is J.T. with Ma...


And Abigail with Grandma Pam...


I would venture to say that Andy and I had more fun than anyone! We tried all the rides... my personal favorite was the "Cyclone" and I think Andy liked the "Raging River" ride the best. They were both rides that we could go on together using the double "tube". Here's one shot of us floating around the Lazy Lagoon on the double tube.... we only rode around this one once.... too slow for us!


I forgot to put this in my original post so I am adding it now. This is the sign that was posted above our table at the water park...


We had some great meals while we there. If you asked the kids about their favorite one, it would be Chuck E. Cheese on Thursday. I took Michelle's advice and we went at lunchtime instead of dinnertime. It wasn't very crowded so the kids were able to play more games! After lunch, we left to head home. At 2 pm in Redding it was 106 degrees.... when we got back to Fortuna it was 61 degrees...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Abigail looks so big! Crazy!