Tuesday, August 7, 2007

My sister

"If you don't understand how a woman could both love her sister dearly and want to wring her neck at the same time, then you were probably an only child."
-Linda Sunshine

The above photo was taken when I was about three and Mary was about six months old.

My sister and I have had a lot of ups and downs in our relationship throughout the years. She is 2 years, 7 months, and 1 day younger than me. I wasn't really a very nice sister when we were growing up. Sometimes I am surprised that she still speaks to me. We played together when we were growing up, but it was definitely a relationship of convenience. I really wish I would've been a better sister back then.

This photo below was taken when Mary was two and I was five. She framed this photo and gave it to me on my wedding day (almost nine years ago!). The frame has the following imprinted in it.... "Sister, you are close to my heart. So many dreams we've shared, all the laughter and love. You tell me your secrets, I tell you mine. A lover of life, kind and true. Beautiful sister, your spirit is strong. We'll always be together in our dreams. Our hearts will stay side by side."

It wasn't until we were both in college that we started to get closer. She visited me a few times at Cal Poly and I went to see her at Santa Clara several times. Since that time, we have remained close. We have been the maid/matron of honor in each other's weddings. Here's a picture of her and I from her wedding day...

I try to visit her at least once a year in San Francisco, just the two of us. She has a completely different lifestyle than mine (city vs. country, no kids vs. kids, full-time job vs. "work at home" mom, etc). No matter what, though, I still feel like our values are the same.

We still have our ups and downs, and we definitely don't agree on everything, but I can't tell you how blessed I am to have her in my life. She is the first person I go to when I have something bothering me. She can always help me work through things and feel better. I know I don't tell her often enough how much I love her and appreciate her.... I love you, Mary! And thank you for being such a wonderful sister and friend.

And to those of you that have a sister, please tell them how much they mean to you.... today!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow...talk about getting caught by surprise while sitting at your desk...you made me cry. Thank you very much. I hope you know i appreciate you just as much...and i love you too. AND don't make me cry at work!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I stumbled across this blog some years ago, and it really struck me. I lost my sister 18 years ago (it still seems like yesterday); and when I read this, I did cry. It seemed like it was written for Kathy and I. Thank you for this. It really meant a lot when I needed it, and I still think of her, and read this often.