Sunday, May 11, 2008

Abigail's First Communion

Yesterday was Abigail's First Communion. For those of you that don't know, second grade is when children in the Catholic Church receive their First Communion. The girls wear white dresses and veils. It was a very big deal for Abigail. Didn't she look beautiful?


We picked out her dress together about a month ago. The veil she wore was the same one that Mary and I wore when we did our First Communions 23 and 25 years ago, respectively.


I made sure I was able to be in a few pictures during the day...

We were very lucky that all the grandparents could be there for Abigail's special day!

I had a hard time deciding what to give Abigail as a gift for this day. Yesterday morning, I finally came with an idea. When I had my First Communion in second grade, my Grandma Dolly gave me her original engagement ring. The diamond had fallen out long ago so she had my birthstone (aquamarine) put in it before she gave it to me. I've had this ring all these years and I wore it on our wedding day as my "something blue." I thought it would be a wonderful keepsake for Abigail. I will hold onto it for a few years until she's a little older. Hopefully she can pass it on to her daughter someday...

2 comments:

karen said...

Great pictures, Sarah. You captured the day with many special memory shots. It was a very memorable time in Abigail's life. Passing Grandma Dolly's ring onto Abigail was a wonderful idea. I enjoyed being there for the church service and reception.

Shelley said...

She is beautiful! I am not really familiar with that tradition at all, but it looks like a wonderful thing to be a part of.