Tuesday, June 5, 2012

What are my goals?

"The question you should be asking isn't, "What do I want? or "What are my goals?" but "What excites me?" ~ Timothy Ferriss, "The 4-Hour Workweek"

Ask Andy what my least favorite part of business/financial planning is and he will tell you:  setting goals.  Hate it!  Hate it!  Hate it!  I love to check things off my to-do list so you would think that I would love setting, and then accomplishing, goals.  Not so much...

Am I afraid of failure?  Of course.  Am I afraid of success?  Sometimes.  Mostly it just comes down to the fact that I don't know how to put what I want in writing.  Maybe I don't really even know what I want.  Sometimes that's the case.  The above quote written by Timothy Ferriss was like a major "ah-ha" moment for me.  I need to start thinking about it in terms of "What excites me?"

That's a whole new way of looking at things.  I think it can be applied to both business and personal life.  I've spent a lot of time thinking about that question related to my photography business.  I came to the conclusion (I think I knew this all along) that there are certain types of photography that I enjoy, and others that I don't.  Wouldn't it make sense to not offer the types that I don't enjoy?  Of course it would, but sometimes that's easier said than done.

I used to think that I wanted to be a full-time photographer.  Now, I realize that I don't want to have my schedule full just for the sake of being busy.  I want to enjoy the photography that I do.  I want to be excited about upcoming projects, sessions, and other photographic opportunities.  I want to love photography like I did when I started so I am going to do what it takes to make that happen.

No comments: