Monday, June 11, 2012

Learning something new everyday...

When I started this blog 5 years (and 1000+ posts) ago, I had no idea how long I would keep it up for or how it would turn out.  I'm sure I still learn something new everyday, but this past week has been especially interesting and enlightening... for a multitude of reasons.

Here are some of the things I learned or discovered...

*I want to read the Bible.  I want to study it and learn about it.  Growing up, my exposure to the Bible was somewhat limited.  Part of it, was being raised Catholic, but another part of it was that I never really had the desire to read it.  I mean, really read it.  Not just a daily devotional Bible either, although its not a bad place to start.  I'm really excited about this new part of my life.

*When I decide to do something, it is possible that I may become a little obsessed (no way!!).  Anyone that really knows me is laughing right now and saying, well duh!  Because of this interesting personality trait of mine, I've been gathering the things that I need to start diving into the Bible.  I downloaded the King James Version onto my Kindle app on my iPad.  I hope God is okay with me using an electronic version.  :-)  I also bought a book called "A Modern Girls Guide to Bible Study" by Jennifer Hatmaker.  It may be one of the best books that I've ever read.  I will write more about it in a separate blog post.  I also bought a devotional called "The Confident Woman Devotional:  365 Daily Inspirations" by Joyce Meyer and it is fantastic.  I read the verse(s) and commentary to go with it, but it also makes me want to go read more of that chapter of the Bible.

*Because I am a "do it and check it off my list" type person, I was having a hard time with the idea of not being able to breeze right through the Bible, learn it, and be done with it.  Yes, I know that's not the idea to be able to check it off my list, but I was trying to figure out the best way to help myself accept that it will be a life-long experience.  Then I remembered a quote that I've heard numerous times,  “Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.” (Greg Anderson).  How true is that?!

*Flossing one's teeth really doesn't take that long.  Why don't we do it more?  Who knows... it's really not that difficult.  Abigail got braces last week and received strict instructions from the orthodontist to floss every day.  I told her that I would really try to do better too, and it hasn't been that bad.

*Tweens have no filter when it comes to what they say, text, or email.  I guess I should say that a lot of adults don't have much of a filter either.  Maybe tween girls having cell phones isn't such a great idea.  There are definitely positives and negatives to this.  We all need to remember to think before we speak, text, email, post on Facebook, etc.

*One's choices in friends is a reflection of their true character.  And if that choice is a poor one, it will eventually lead to the loss of other important people in one's life.  Choose your friends wisely. 

Well that's probably good for today....

No comments: