Tuesday, July 27, 2010

10 biggest mistakes

We all make mistakes as we learn. I thought I would share with you the 10 biggest mistakes I made when I first got serious about photography and started doing "photo shoots"... (in no particular order)

1. Using a wrinkled sheet as a backdrop. It's easy to do, but it just screams amateur. If you are just starting out, try a large sheet of felt or fleece. Or better yet, use the outdoors.

2. Using too many cheesy props. I don't have a problem with props if they are used sparingly. Simple is better in my opinion.

3. Placing my subject too close to the backdrop. This causes weird shadows sometimes and reduces your ability to blur the background.

4. Assuming that it was a good idea to let the camera make all the decisions (i.e. shoot in auto).

5. Letting the photography judges at the Humboldt County Fair determine my opinion of myself as a photographer. Judges have their own opinions, likes, and dislikes. Just because they didn't choose my images as winners does not mean that I don't have photography talent.

6. Falling into the mindset that "It doesn't matter if I get a good photo.... I will just fix it in Photoshop." Bad, bad idea! Photoshop should be used for enhancing photos, doing small cosmetic fixes, and fun design projects.

7. Spending way too much time fixing images in Photoshop that should've been just deleted. You can't save 'em all! Sometimes it's just better to delete and try to get the image later.

8. Trying to imitate other photographers' style rather than finding my own. It's easy to do. I still get inspiration from other photographers and artists, but I use it to help me find my own style.

9. Settling for a murky looking black and white image. B&Ws have always been tough for me. I am just now getting comfortable with my conversion method.

10. Avoiding reading my camera manual. This is so important. It is especially helpful when you sit down with the camera and go through the manual step-by-step while you play with all the functions.

Any other photographers out there, feel free to add your "biggest mistakes" in the comments section.

1 comment:

Just a Small Town Girl said...

You are your own toughest critic, right?! I totally agree with #5...I just don't get what the fair judges are "looking for"

I am still learning that what looks so awesome on the camera will come out looking like crap on the computer!

And, I need to read my manual more in depth....to my own credit, I bought Nikon D3000 for Dummies!