Thursday, February 22, 2007

Where do I go from here?

Lately I have been struggling with my photography. I don't mean that I am having trouble with my photography skills... it's more a matter of how to use those skills. Several people have asked me recently if I plan to start a photography business. I have tossed the idea around a little...

Whenever I start thinking about this, it always brings me back to thinking about why I got into photography in the first place.... my kids, of course. I've never considered myself creative or artistic.... at all!! When I started scrapbooking after Abigail was born six years ago, I was able to see that maybe I do have a little creativity in me. Scrapbooking led me to photography. I have been interested in photography for as long as I can remember, but taking photos specifically for scrapbooking made me look at photography a little differently. Ever since then, my passion for photography has grown... every day.

The second reason why I took up photography was that I was tired of taking my kids to mall for their portraits. I always left there very unsatisfied with the quality of the portraits, and with my overall experience. Last January, I finally decided to do something about it. I bought my first digital SLR camera and have acquired a few lenses throughout the year. A few weeks ago, I upgraded to a Canon 30D. Here's one of the first photos I took when I got my Canon Digital Rebel XT in early 2006...

I love to do portraits of my kids. I spend a great deal of time practicing with them, both indoors and out. There is nothing like a natural, outdoor portrait where they can really show their personalities. On the other hand, it is also a lot of fun to try to capture a studio look with an indoor portrait. The kids have been pretty good about letting me snap away... especially if there's a treat involved. Here's one of my first favorites of J.T.
I have always loved weddings and everything about them: the planning, the flowers, the attire, the emotion of the day, the photographs, etc. Would I want to photograph a wedding? I am not sure. There is so much pressure because it's a once in a lifetime day... I was lucky enough to be a second shooter at my good friend Julie's wedding in November. It was a great experience and I loved being part of the day. It was an amazing experience to see how happy the bride and groom, and their families, were on that day.
Growing up, my dad always told me that I can accomplish anything I put my mind to. However, there are several factors weighing in on my decision, not the least of which is whether this is the "right" time in my life to take on something like this. And while making a decision like this, one can't ignore the business aspect. The market in our area is pretty saturated when it comes to photographers. Am I really needed? Can I really offer anything that isn't already being offered?

Lots of questions to ponder and try to answer....

No comments: