Thursday, June 21, 2007

Friendship

"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
Walk beside me, and just be my friend."
-Albert Camus

The other day I was thinking about my girlfriends. I am very lucky to have different woman that play different roles in my life. I want to describe some of my girlfriends (these are in no particular order)...

There is one who has known me for almost ten years and knows exactly how I will react in all situations. She knows me better than anyone (except for maybe Andy). We've worked together, planned our weddings together, been bridesmaids for each other, been pregnant together, spent many hours scrapbooking together, and many other things. I know we will always be friends even with our busy lives.

There is one that has been in my family since I was two years, seven months, and 1 day old. She lives in San Francisco with her wonderful husband. I wish we could see each other more often, but I enjoy the time we do have together. We talk on the phone almost everyday, unless she is out of the country. She is my sister.

There is one that survived living with me for three years in college. And we still like each other! We've both gotten married (and were bridesmaids for each other) and had kids. We only see other every couple of years, but when we do, it's like old times. I wish we lived closer, but that will probably never happen. I know we will always be friends even with the distance.

There is one that I met online and shares my love of photography. I have actually never met her in person, but we have spent countless hours "chatting" online or on the phone. Who knows if we will ever meet in person, but I hope we do. She has been very supportive of my photography and helped me grow as a photographer. I hope to make it to Arkansas someday.

There are several that I went to high school with. We are all married with kids now. Sometimes we get together for a "girls night out" or a coffee chat session. We all agree that a coffee chat session is much easier on our bodies. It is so fun to remember how we used to be, but it is pretty amazing to see where we have ended up.

There are several that were my sorority sisters in college. They were my "family" when I was 500 miles from my real family. They helped me get through homesickness, boyfriend break-ups, tough classes and sorority pledging. I could not have made it through college without them. I don't get to see them very often.... thanks goodness for email!

There are several that are moms of my kids' friends. It is great when you have something in common... not to mention the fact that we see each other every day of the school year! I see them the most out of all my friends. Now that it is summer time, we don't see each other quite as often. One I saw today (and will probably become Abigail and/or JT's mother-in-law) and one I am going to Hawaii with for her wedding.

There is one who used to live here, but moved to be with her new husband. I haven't seen her since her wedding in November. I really miss our nightly walks and sushi dinners. She shares my Nascar passion and someday we will make it to a race! I hope to see her soon.

There are several that I have known my entire life, or for as long as I can remember. Some have moved away and some still live here. Some are married and some have kids. They all give me good memories of growing up. And when we get together we have lots of catching up to do.

There are several that I have met fairly recently. We may not get to see each other or talk to each other too often, but I feel lucky to have them in my life.

I feel very blessed to have different types of girlfriends in my life. To all my girlfriends, thank you. Thank you for being you. Thank you for being part of my life. Thank you for being my friend.

No comments: